Feb 14, 2012

This Year's Reading - Baltimore, MD. - February 2012

This year I received a challenge from the Hub...

Well to be honest it wasn't an "I challenge you..." exactly, but he sometimes teases me for the lack of, let's call it "Educational Content" in my reading list.  Don't get me wrong, if you've been following this blog long you know I'm an AVID reader but I tend to gravitate toward what some would call "chick lit".  You know, funny girls, strange situations.  I definitely don't think there's anything wrong with that genre, but he got me thinking which is ALWAYS an exciting ride.

I LOVE staying home with our daughter but one common theme I've found with my fellow Stay at Home Moms is finding a way to keep your mind active and continue learning and growing as a person, not only for your kids sake, but also for your own sanity.

So starting in January I decided that one way I could do this is by changing the way I read.  I still read the fun stuff, but I'm also throwing in some non-fiction and have been pleasantly surprised!

Here's what I've read so far in 2012.  
Non-fiction
Nut Shell Review: I've read this about 6 times and always turn to it when I'm needing to re-motivate myself to write.  I LOVE IT!

Non-fiction
Nut Shell Review: I read these 432 pages of non-fiction on the edge of my seat.  I knew Roosevelt was a humble adventurer, but had no idea the depths to which it extended.  Candice Millard is a phenomenally talented writer and I can't wait for her next project.

Non-fiction
Nut Shell Review: James A. Garfield could have quite possibly been one of America's greatest presidents, but only a few months into his presidency he was shot and the story unfolds from there.  This is one of the most incredible untold stories in American history!

Non-fiction
Nut Shell Review: O'Reilly takes you back to the tail end of the civil war and shows you this iconic event from all sides.  I had no idea how many people were involved in Lincoln's assassination plot. There's a lot of history in the beginning that can be a little hard to swallow but I came out on the other side with a lot more knowledge of where this event fit in the context of history.

Non-fiction
Nut Shell Review: Isaackson captured Steve Jobs like I believe no other author could.  He was granted access to Jobs in a way that no other author was allowed and does a brilliant job of telling his story like it was.  No sugar and spice and everything nice.  He captured the temper tantrums, the innovation, the melt downs and the introspection of a man that literally changed the face of computers, music and movies, just to name a few.  One of the BEST books I've evr read!

Non-fiction
Nut Shell Review: This will probably become one of those books I read over and over again. The common theme that just as our husbands are "called" to be healers, we are "called" to be their wives supporting them through the peaks and valleys of their careers and our lives together, are incredibly convicting. What a blessing Debby's book has been and what strength she had to tell her story.
I'm Currently Reading
Fiction

My goal is to read 50-60 books this year and I'd like for at least half of them to be non-fiction so I'm off to a great start.  Let me know what you've been reading, fiction or non-fiction.  I haven't picked out my next book yet and I'm already half way through the latest Stephen King thriller (YEP, it's that good!!!), so I'm definitely open for suggestions!!!

Till next time,
Bon Voyage!

2 comments:

Nikki said...

I have also been reading more than usual lately. I have read the Witch & Wizard series by James Patterson. It was fantastic! And I am currently reading the third in the Hunger Games series. I know...young adult stuff. But extremely entertaining. And sometimes you just need a break from reality!! After reading this blog, I do think I will be reading a couple of those non-fiction books as well. Please let me know if you find more!!

Anonymous said...

I need to read the Candice Millard books! I really think I would like them :)